As you may remember, this week we're discussing Passage, a short game by Jason Rohrer. If you haven't played it yet, no problem! The game is free to download, takes five minutes to play, and you can get it right here. So go ahead and play it, and come on back for the discussion. I'll wait.
Oh, you're done already? Awesome.
Here are some questions to get us started:
1. Do you feel that the visual style helps or hinders your enjoyment of the game? How about the accessibility of the game? How about your ability to think about the themes and ideas present in the game?As always, feel free to discuss any aspect of the game or the experience. These questions are just to get the ball rolling.
2. Why do you think the game world appears so narrow? The first time you played, did you realize that you could go up and down as well as forward and back?
3. What do you think about the way the game represents relationships? How does the game change if you join up with the woman, as opposed to going it alone?
4. Did you find any treasure chests? What do you think they represent?
5. Did this game provoke any emotional responses from you?
(What's the Monthly Game Club? Click here for details.)